Dr. Kirleen’s Personal Perspective & Story
For over twenty years I have had the privilege of helping thousands of women and couples change negative patterns in their lives and restore peace. I use the word privilege because I view my relationships with my clients as a scared. My role is often one of catalyst, helping to disrupt, untangle and destroy negative life patterns.
I became fascinated with addressing issues of self-value, confidence, and self-esteem in therapy after seeing a consistent pattern. Regardless, of whether I was working with a couple on infidelity, a man on anxiety or a teen on depression the underlying theme usually came back to “what they believed about themselves translated into how they thought, felt and behaved”.
I often get asked why I am so passionate about helping people after all these years. The answer is simple, I grew up in a home where I knew I was loved but many of the actions, words, and events that occurred left me feeling unworthy. I had to figure out a way to move past my BackStory and reinvent myself. I know that finding the right tools changed my life and ultimately lead me to happiness in my career and relationships. When I see clients stuck in dead relationships or not maximizing their true potential I want to desperately bring them over to the other side. Understanding your BackStory is truly the beginning of maximizing your true potential.
Dr. Neely has worked in the mental health field for over twenty years. She has been the chief executive officer of Richardson Counseling Services since its inception in 2001. Dr. Neely has enjoyed serving in an array of capacities through out her career, including psychotherapist, professor, and counselor supervisor. She has worked with a wide array of populations including; children, adolescents, couples, and families. She frequently appears on national radio and television shows as a guest expert speaking about confidence, self-esteem tools and relationship satisfaction for women. Some of her 2015 appearances include Sirius XM’s Maggie Linton Show, WBDJ7 The Joy Sutton Show and Plaid for Women radio Podcast.
Dr. Neely’s first children’s’ book titled Straight Talk was published in 2014 and has won the prestigious Indie Excellence Book award finalist division. This book is a culmination of Dr. Neely’s ground breaking qualitative research in the area of hair shaming and self-esteem for young girls. She has also a published numerous articles in the area of self-esteem.
She currently manages the day to day operations of the counseling center and serving as a faculty member at UT Medical School. She spends a large portion of her time writing, teaching and speaking to an audience on issues related to self-esteem tools and confidence building tools. She combines her practical straight forward approach to therapy, narrative therapy skills and her Christian perspective to give clients an effective counseling experience both online and face-to-face.
Dr. Neely is licensed by the Texas State Board of Professional Counselors and is an approved Counselor Supervisor. She holds a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Sam Houston State University, a Master’s degree in Counseling from Prairie View A & M University and a Ph.D. in Counselor Education from St. Mary’s University. She is supported by her husband and two beautiful daughters.
Education & Qualifications:
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision, St. Mary’s University San Antonio, Texas
- Masters of Arts, Counseling and Guidance, Prairie View A & M University
- Bachelor of Arts, Sam Houston State University
- Licensed Professional Counselor
- Licensed Professional Counselor Supervisor
- 15 plus years of experience working with couples, individuals, and adolescents.
- Great Day SA, Talk Show, Self-Esteem and Teens (April 2017)
- Girls Scouts of America, Self-Esteem, and Bullying (April 2017)
- Ask Sarah Blog Talk Radio “Should You Get a Prenup” Featuring Dr. Neely and attorney Kelly Decker ( March 2017)
- Empire Radio, Professionals Roundtable Featuring Dr. Neely ( March 2017)
- Couples BootCamp, Richardson Counseling Services, (February 2017)
- Plaid for Women Radio, Dr. Neely; Should pornography be a deal breaker for your relationship (July 2016)
- BackStory Breakthrough Online Course initial launch ( January 2016)
- Seminar on mental health and college students at Trinity University – San Antonio. (October 2015)
- Annual 45th NBCDI, Dr. Neely: Defying Media Images for Girls. (October 2015)
- Plaid for Women Radio, Dr. Neely; Black Lives Matter Movement from a Feminine Perspective (September 2015)
- Plaid for Women Radio, Dr. Neely; Kids & Natural Hair. (September 2015)
- Strengthen Your Connections: Exploring Your BackStory, Women’s Seminar. Richardson Counseling Services. (August 2015)
- The Joy Sutton Talk Show, Roanoke Virginia-Dr. Neely discussed improving self-esteem for women. (July 2015)
- Plaid for Women Radio, Dr. Neely discuss hair shaming and her children’s book. (June 2015)
- Self Esteem for Women in the Military, Army Base (May 2015)
- Naturalista take over Galveston Island-Dr. Neely spoke on the history of hair shaming and self-esteem (May 2015)
- Dr. Neely’s book Straight Talk wins and Indie Excellence award for children’s book (May 2015)
- Having Positive Self Esteem: What’s Your BackStory?, Plaid for Women (April 28th, 2015)
- Having Positive Self Esteem: What’s it all About?, Plaid for Women (April 1st, 2015)
- Building Healthy Communication for Couples, Richardson Counseling Services (February 2015)
- Natural Hair in American 3 part series, San Antonio Public Library ( February 2015)
- The Maggie Linton Show, Sirius XM National radio ( January 2015)
- Practical Treatment Strategies for Improving Self-Esteem, Methodist Hospital System (San Antonio, Texas 2014)
- Dynamic Women’s Workshop on Self-Esteem, Richardson Counseling Services (San Antonio, Texas 2014)
- Surviving the Emotional Impact of Hair Loss, Trichology conference (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Trichology conference, 2014)
- The Psychological Impact of Hair Loss, Trichology conference (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2014)
- Understanding Trichotillomania, Trichology conference (San Antonio, Texas, 2014)
- Full Circle Inspiration Talk Show, reappearing guest speaker ( San Antonio, Texas 2012-2013)